This page contains info for Orchestra Members only. If you are not a member we suggest looking at the Home or Achievements pages for info for you.
News – New restrictionson car parking at DLT
Quote from the college “… we have coned off an area at the side of theatre to stop cars parking there which should improve the situation. We are also in the process of putting down some road markings in the area which we also would like people to refrain from parking on.”
Key dates & Rehearsal schedule
- Mon 21st May 2018 – Bizet Suites 1 & 2
- Mon 28th May 2018 – no rehearsal ( Spring BH)
- Mon 4th June 2018 – Saint Saens; Milhaud
- Mon 11th June 2018 – Sectional rehearsal for both String & Wind
- Mon 18th June 2018 – Bizet Suite 2; Milhaud
- Mon 25th June 2018 – Bizet Suite 1; Herold; Milhuad
- Mon 2nd July 2018 – Saint Saens (~30 mins); Milhuad (with Naomi Sullivan)
- Mon 9th July 2018 – Milhaud (with Naomi Sullivan); Bizet Suite 1 Adagietto
- Fri 13th July 2018 – All
- Sat 14th July 2018 – ‘Bastille Day’ Concert
- Mon 16th July 2018 – start of summer break
- Mon 3rd Sept 2018 – first rehearsal after summer break
- Sat 24th Nov 2018 – Autumn Concert (programme to be agreed)
‘Bastille Day Concert’ – Info
Our summer concert on 14th July celebrates Bastille Day – which is a French national holiday – so all the music is French.
Our Librarians have copies of all the music available at rehearsals, so you don’t need to print any music from IMSLP (although links are provided below, in case you do want to print your own copy, for example to annotate it). There is also a link to a YouTube performance of each piece, but this may differ from our interpretation.
|Ferdinand Herold||Overture to the Opera ‘Zampa’||IMSLP copy||Youtube track|
|Camille Saint-Saens||Suite Algerienne, Op 60||Not in full on IMSLP||Youtube track|
|Darius Milhaud||Scaramouche (for Alto Sax and Orchestra)||Not on IMSLP||Youtube track|
|Georges Bizet||L’Arlesienne Suites No 1 & 2||IMSLP Suite1||Youtube Suite1|
Rehearsals (and refreshment breaks!)
- Rehearsals are held in the Theatre building at the Sherwood Rise site of the Djanogly Learning Trust, NG7 7AR (See map) on Monday evenings from 7.00 pm to 9.15 pm.
- If you are able to arrive a few minutes early to help put out chairs, that is really helpful.
- We have a refreshment break at ‘half time’ and 3 members of the Orchestra are rostered each week to provide this. Please check the Rota to see when you are scheduled.
Membership and Subs
Members need to be able to come to rehearsals regularly – as frequent gaps make it less enjoyable for other players.
Subs are currently £80 per year, and should be paid by standing order – either annually in January, or quarterly in November, February, May and August. Please contact the treasurer, Roger Kilby, for standing order information. The one exception to this is that membership for a full-time student is free – so don’t forget to tell Roger if you already are (or if you become) a student!
Our constitution (see DCO constitution) states that the orchestra is managed by a committee – comprising three officers (Chairperson, Secretary and Treasurer) and up to 5 other elected members. Currently the committee comprises 7 members:
Membership Secretary and Facebook manager: Cath Lovatt. (Membership@djanoglycommunityorchestra.co.uk)
Cath joined the committee in 2013. She plays clarinet, which she started at school (even performing with a very young Nigel Kennedy!). What she really likes about playing with Djanogly is that nobody cares about your day job – it’s just about making music. Her favourite from Djanogly repertoire is Aaron Copeland’s Appalachian Spring – mainly for the lovely clarinet solos.